A Style Blog
Happy snow day to me! Today it is snowing, snowing, snowing here and we are all having a great snow day. However, I would be lying if I didn’t tell you that I am hoping that this is the last of it! I want spring and all the warm weather it brings. I am excited because next week’s forecast looks warmer so I can get back to doing looks and not be freezing! I love being a fashion blogger but I hate the cold weather so this winter has been so difficult because it has been so cold!
These pieces up top are the ones on my want list right now. They are pieces that I am definitely looking to buy and add to my closet. That dress just screams walking in the little squares in Italy to me. I am really looking for light and airy things to make me feel like spring has sprung. Hope you like these fun, little wants as you browse on your snow day. Stay warm!
So yesterday, I got the pleasure of going to the grand opening of The Blue Octagon in Malvern (on East King Street) and all I can say is, “wow.” I love home decor and this shop was just bursting with so much stylish and chic decor. (Hint: meaning I will be back soon since I just moved and I am in the process of making this house our home.) That little comfy, fluffy stool you see above…I am in love with…I hope it is still there because I want it for my closet project we are working on right now—that will be my first home post. But, look at all the other great items, they are everywhere. I love that the boutique is set up like a house with each section decorated a little differently. Also, a ton of great fashion books and colorful flowers and great desk supplies. They had colorful fashion quoted paper weights, a awesome pair of decorative gold (and functional) scissors (my purchase) and tons of unique pieces to make your house special and not bought all straight from a catalog (you know what I mean, pieces you find that are little treasures that make your home unique). If you are in the area stop by and take a peek in, it won’t disappoint.
I have no affiliation with the shop, I was just checking it out and this is my personal opinion..so it is worth a trip all my home decor fanatics (like me) out there!
About a week ago, I posted on my Facebook page (if you aren’t following why not?) that I was having a winter, dry skin issue. My skin is extra sensitive and the cold, dry air here in the northeast has been wrecking havoc on it. My under eyes and nose were the worst and I was researching what I could do in the interim before I could get out to do a facial or talk to the professionals to see what the best method to get rid of the madness is (I will do another post on that as soon as my research is complete!). Here are some products that I have been using to restore the PH balance in my face and they have been doing a great job. The absolute best part is that they are all affordable!
1. Organic cold-pressed olive oil: You heard me right. It works and it lasts forever. I think that most people think that oil will clog the skin, but I haven’t found that to be the case. Just go to your organic section of your grocery store or go to a health food store and pick one out. It is cheap and cheerful, but I have found some great benefits to it. I use it to clear off my skin and rid it from make-up at night. Then I use a gentle cleaner after that that is for dry skin and it has helped a world! Something like this is perfect (but it doesn’t have to be this brand, any will work).
2. Elemis Rosepetal Cleaner: This is the face wash I started using. I was using Pacifia brand and I do love the smell but I think it was drying for me so I switched over to this and it has worked like a charm. It doesn’t lather at all, which may be weird for some of you, but for me I rather it didn’t lather. I don’t like my face to be striped of all its essential oils. I also use the Ginseng or Apricot toner immediately following. I switch it up every now and then but both are great.
3. Eye Cream: I was finding that in these cold months that just an eye serum wasn’t working for me. So I switched to an eye cream. This is the one I have been using currently and I really like it. You can’t beat the price either (on sale now)!
4. Oil Moisturizer. I really think that if you try this you might not go back to creams. It is light on the skin but it really moisturizes and if you put on before your make-up it smooths out your skin and gives it a great glow.
If you try any of these products let me know and tag me in your posts. I will be sure to respond. I am interested to see if they work for others like they have worked for me! Happy no-more-dry-skin!
I had a suggestion the other day from a friend that really intrigued me. She was asking what blogs do I read being a blogger. Most of the blogs that I read are fashion-friendly, beauty-centered and lifestyle-focused. I basically gravitate toward lifestyle blogs and occasionally I visit food blogs. I also have a communication business of my own and through this business I get to work with other blogs and write, edit and brainstorm topics for them too. So really, I look through a lot of blogs daily in all genres.
Below you will find some blogs that I love. In the blogging world, I think it is important to support the blogs that you as a blogger love, it truly isn’t a competition because each individual brings something unique and different to the table just by being themselves. So these are my blogger picks, totally and truly my go-to’s—even more so since I moved and had to take a little break from this blog—which I love—-but as you can see I am slowly get back to it.
1. Barefoot Blonde: I just love this blog and I love how Amber seems so genuinely sweet and sincere. She has a great sense of style and the girl can braid like no one’s business! She has the beautiful long blond hair that I will never have being a darker complected Italian girl! She focuses on fashion, beauty and hair but lots of fun lifestyle stuff in-between.
2. Simply LuLu Style: I love this blog for style inspiration and even though LuLu’s style is a little different than mine, that is what I love. Looking at another style helps me push my own boundaries. Plus, she is a local to my area so I have to support that. She focuses on style and beauty too, but she has been adding in more and more lifestyle and I really like it.
3. Thirty Something Fashion: I met Carly virtually through a media group that I am a part of, so of course have to support someone who loves the same stuff I do! Her blog is great for style inspiration too. Carly has a boho style that I really like even though I tend not to wear alot of boho, but I feel like her style really encompasses a lot. Her posts are super friendly and just very real. She has a box service that is super cool and I love reading about it and seeing the looks she is putting together.
4. Sarah Rachel Photography: Sarah has a true talent. Her images are so refined and I love them. She has a great eye and she is always giving great tips on her blog. She doesn’t just do wedding photography. If you are thinking of taking some images as a couple or you are taking your kids shots, she is a great resource for cool poses and backgrounds.
5. Playdates and Pearls: I met Samantha via Intagram and she has a super cute blog that focuses on fashion, beauty, life, home decor and motherhood. She is so conversational and has a great sense of humor. Definitely a good read, check her out.
So here are the top five lifestyle blogs that I want to read time and time again. If you are interested in another post like this, let me know! I narrowed down to my top five but there is definitely a lot more great blogs out there.
Hello to everyone out there! I am sorry that I have been MIA over the past few weeks. I have been wanting to get back to the blog but we moved, my communications business picked up and, well, life just kind of happened. I will be back and I am working now on getting back in the swing of a normal routine. I am still under some boxes from packing and moving and now the unpacking. I seriously will scream if I ever see another box after this! I have an aversion to them now. My son’s birthday just passed so in the mist of unpacking we had a party in the half unpacked house which proved to be interesting.
I have been working on getting my littles settled with the change and getting my office set up in the new digs, so it has been hectic. I have some great looks planned and I am going to add a home section to the blog that features some projects that I am working on. I love home decor almost as much as fashion so I would love to give some inspiration with my style and help others discover their own.
With that I will be back soon and thank you so much for your understanding! I love my little corner of the web and feel like it is always a positive place with great readers. Thank you for sticking with me as I pull life back on track!
So, I wanted to leave this post with you this week of Christmas—My top 5 skincare products I am loving right now. For those of you who do not know me, I am definitely a beauty/skincare junkie. I love trying new skincare and make-up. When I was 15 through university I worked in a cosmetic store and actually loved it! I got to take classes and learned so much during those years. I love a good product and if I find one that I decide I can not switch out, I know it is a true keeper. So if you are looking for some new products keep reading, I am going to share my top five. I decided that I wanted to up my game in the anti-aging process so I was reading a magazine and it basically said that this retinol creme was just as good as the expensive brands so I decided to give it a try as I was finishing up my current night creme. I have been using Roc for a little over a month now and I LOVE it! I got the senstive formula but it has been so great with my skin I may just try the regular formula next go-around. My skin feels soft in the morning and it hasn’t dried me out…a complete plus. I have been using all different types of vitamin C serums for awhile now, trying to find one that I really loved. Then one day I was reading one of my regular-read blogs over at Thirty Something Fashion and this was a product that was mentioned Brightamin-C. I decided to try it since I was low on the one I was using. I am so glad I did. I have dry skin and in the winter it gets super dry and this really has kept the dryness at bay. It will be the first time I will re-purchase a vitamin C serum in the same brand.
Speaking of dry skin, I have used the Elemis line for quite a few years now. It has my favorite daily moisturizer. I normally would use their regular Pro-Collagen Marine Cream but when I saw this one in Ultra-Rich well, I had to purchase it. It is winter so no better time to try something that is richer than normal. I really love it. I doubt I will be buying this one as we get into the warmer months but for now, in the cold, this one is a keeper. It fights the dry skin and leaves my skin soft.
This little beauty I found when I went to a nice dinner at Terrain. I put the tester on my hand and loved it. I actually mix two drops of this with my daily moisturizer above (it says night time on the directions, but it works great for me as a daytime daily). I feel like this Complexion Conserve gives my skin an extra boost and the ingredients are all certified organic.
I love foundations. I mean, they help even out everything and make your face look it’s best. I have used all kinds but I found that I really, really love my foundation in a stick. I don’t like the feel of make-up on my face and I also don’t like how even some of the high-end liquid foundations can look like you have them on (especially around the eye area). I love Benefits Play Sticks because it goes on, looks natural and feels weightless.
So these are some of the products lately that I want to use over and over again. I hope everyone has a very bright holiday season! I cannot wait for Christmas morning with my littles! Merry Christmas!
I have noticed that I have gotten quite a few new readers recently and I thought it would be a great time to introduce myself to everyone. It is always nice to get a glimpse of the writer behind the blog and honestly, I have loved reading similar types of posts from blogs that I visit regularly. I have to say this past month has been pretty busy and I haven’t gotten to write as much as I would like to…I will tell everyone why very soon! But in the meantime, if you haven’t gotten to know me through some of my posts here’s a way to get a quick glimpse….
10 Things You Don’t Know About Me
1. I read like crazy. Really I do. If I fall in love with a book you might need a megaphone to get through to me. Books are our chance to reach outside our reality and into another. I have had a lifelong love of reading.
2. Writing makes me feel good. Every time I take one of those little quizzes on Facebook or anywhere, you know the ones that say, “what profession are you really supposed to be doing,” I without a doubt get writer. Which I guess is good because it is what I do. There is something about writing that is so freeing and absolutely cleansing. I hope soon to write my own book.
3. I miss painting. If you haven’t noticed by now I obviously use the right side of my brain. I am a complete creative soul. I used to paint with water color and oil. I love working with pastels and charcoal too. My grandmother feed my ability from a very young age and supplied me with the most beautiful papers and art supplies imaginable to put my dreams on paper. Since having my littles and working I haven’t had much time for this, but the best part is my daughter loves, loves this too and I can pass the time with her creating so I think I will soon get back into this favorite hobby.
4. I sew. A few years ago I decided that I wanted to sew. I know what I had learned through my great grandmother (the woman had magic hands that could sew anything beautifully) so after my grandmother equipped me with her 1950s Singer machine, I just had to get right to it. I love my 2 hours of time a week to go to the studio where I learn to sew and just create. It is definitely a type of therapy.
5. I wish I played the piano. I love the piano, it is by far my favorite instrument. Growing up I didn’t have one to learn on but I now have a family heirloom that was passed down to me through my aunt. My daughter wants to play so it is on my bucket list to learn someday soon too.
6. I am a gypsy at heart. I love to travel and if I could go to Europe all the time — it is what I would do. More than that I love culture and learning about how other people live. It enamors me every time.
7. I am obsessed with Downton Abbey. Truly. I love it… I am so excited that in January I can finally get my fill each Sunday night.
8. I love being a mom. It is the best thing that ever happened to me. The love that I feel for my littles is something that could never be replicated. Those little cuties are my world.
9. I am super organized. I am someone who can not use my iPhone for storing and scheduling my life. I need a planner and I love a great planner. I schedule my meetings, appointments, kid’s activities, everything through my favorite little book. I write notes to myself in that same book and jot ideas in it.
10. I love home decor. HomeGoods is one of my favorite stores. I mean, if you read the blog you know that I love fashion and love a good trend but over the years I have grown to love decorating my home. I only allow myself in these types of stores on occasion because I could just go wild in there!
So if you are new to reading the blog, it is nice to meet you. I know for sure that December and the beginning of January I might not be around my little corner of the world wide web much, but I promise I will get back into the swing of blogging come the new year. Until then check back to catch me here and there.
Go ahead and make it a great Monday!
My Look Details :: Tunic, Macy’s (on sale!) :: Leggings, Macy’s (not available on line anymore, but I love these and they are on sale.) :: Boots, Macy’s (on sale!) :: Bag, Sole Society, Similar here (and on sale!)
I hope everyone had a very happy Thanksgiving! I found this small shoot that I did when I was in Atlantic City a few weeks ago. I decided to post because I think it is great winter wear. I love, love this sweater and I find I want to wear it all the time and since it is now on sale, I am definitely going to grab another color! I love patterned leggings and they add such interest to an outfit. The boots are great too. I wear them so often. This are Vince Camuto boots and if you have been reading for a while I love his boot styles. The bag is one that I bought at Sole Society and I have to say I always pick up a Sole Society for my every day bags. I love them! Hope this look gives you some great inspiration for every day style.
I am not a huge Black Friday shopper—I am more of a Cyber Monday girl. I have littles so point and click work better for me This year I didn’t post sales for Black Friday, because well, almost everything is on sale! Hope you have a fabulous Cyber Monday…wishes for awesome deals.